Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Honorable Unacted Intentions

I am slowly realizing more and more how much of a pessimist I actually am. Sure, in everyday situations i like to look for the best in them. But when it comes to perceiving myself and the thing going on around me, i can't help but be disgusted. Some people may not agree with my views on these subjects, but this is my blog and i shall say whatever I see fit. This shall all make sense after i give you a little background on what got me thinking so.

Shaina and I got to talking again tonight(usually ending quite late) and we settled upon the topic of our ancestry. For those who actually know me well enough, you will already know that I have an almost unhealthy admiration for Viking heritage. I love reading and learning about where I came from (I'm 3/4 Norwegian and a 1/4 Swedish), and how my ancestors lived and what there values were.

Looking back on all of this I'm realizing more and more how we have started to lose the few things that make us humans. Such qualities as chivalry, integrity and the most distressing... honor are all but lost on us. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not pointing my finger at everyone else saying that they are all terrible people, seeing as I am just as bad at portraying these qualities as everyone else. This is all the more disappointing for me as I notice I don't behave or act according to the standards that I view are important.

What ever happened to the saying "A man is only as good as his word"? Look around and you will see that we are surrounded by cheats, liars and swindlers. But i guess that is to be expected with the lack of respect and fear of God.

Respect!

Now there is another trait that has all but diminished, and in so many ways too. Respect for our elders is gone and respect for woman was all but annihilated decades ago. But that is all another topic for another day.

But as i look back at all that I am righting.. i come to one conclusion...

I'm a hypocrite

Everything i stand for or admire, i can't embody. It's not that its hard, I just don't do it. I have been trained so well by todays decaying society that it is a daily battle to just be polite. Sure i try to open the door for a lady, but at the end of the day what does that accomplish? her saving a few calories burned? So in saying all of this, I put the task up to all of you. If you ever seeing me act in a fashion that is contradictory to what I write here... TELL ME!

Not gonna do any good letting little things slide.

Cause in the end.. isn't a whole bunch of little things.. a big thing?

Honor - honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions

1 comment:

* shaina * * said...

it's 3am. i blame you that i have no will to sleep at this hour. i just watched The Man In the Iron Mask, which i forgot i rented a week ago, and which coincided well with the theme we've hit on this time around. i guess i don't actually have anything important to say about it...but there were some very honorable characters in it that reinforced all of this, and that made me all the more determined about character.