Monday, September 24, 2007

The beauty of "Not Quite First"

Some had all red.

Some didn't have any at all.

Mine consisted of mainly blue with the rare splotch of red or white.

Now, getting first at the elementary school track meet might not be some peoples life ambition. But to me, at the age of 11 or so, it was a big deal. I would look around in envy at the people with all the red, or look down upon the people with just white, or didn't have any at all. I would start judging people on the ratio of red to blue to white that they had pinned to the side of their size M children's gym shorts and admire my superiority or wallow in my inferiority that the "Not Quite First" ribbon labeled me as.

I slowly come to realize the amount that I have been influenced by the happenings of my childhood. From things as large as the expectations I was to meet in all area's of my life, to the pathetic drive for accomplishment brought on by the ridiculous concept of worth judged by not only the amount of ribbons you had acquired, but also the color that they most brilliantly shone.

I just bought, Sex God, by Rob Bell.

In the opening chapter it talks about objects that are more than just objects. The wedding ring that isn't just a wedding ring.. it's a sign of commitment and love. The ribbons that aren't just ribbons... they're check marks, stickers, a thumbs up, or any other form of acknowledgment that try convince you that you are worth more or less than the people who received more or less than you.

Why are we ruled by the idea's that we must attain something? Why do people go around teaching other people or their children that they MUST be number 1? Why do we let ourselves fall into the immensely arrogant idea of thinking that we are better or worse than others?

I've grown up my entire life thinking that I should be getting good grades. While I agree that we should do our best, I completely disagree that we should work hard for the sake of accomplishing a set standard or grade that we have set up for ourselves. Do you think God will love you more if you get 100%? Do you think the person that got 65% is any less of a person or less loved for the simple fact that another human thought that they didn't do as good?

Now don't get me wrong, I think that we should strive for excellence... but when our striving gets in the way of the real reason we are doing it, then we have completely lost the reason as to why we started in the first place. That reason is to bring glory to God. Working for our own gratification is not only meaningless, but you will always walk away disappointed. Someone will always be better, faster, stronger, smarter, more able. First shouldn't be our goal, peace and joy in the presence of God should be.

Matthew 6: 19 - 21

19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."


1 comment:

* shaina * * said...

this was super insightful and really cool to read! you're so creative, i'm glad you're writing again :) (and you quoted my bestest scripture--bonus!)